Unlike much of what you find on the www, what I publish has to meet my high standards or truth, relevance and reliability. With regards to the topic on hand, in order to be included on this page, these are my requirements:
- victims need to have been killed (attempts don't count, but injury resulting in death in a few days do)
- it is not enough for either the victim of the villain to be ideologues, the villain must be of one ideology and the victim of the opposing ideology.
- the assassination needs to be motivated by the difference in ideology.
The examples on this page will show that for conservatives, killing liberals isn't just talk.
Liberals killed by Conservatives
( listed in reverse chronological order ):
because of the differences in their beliefs
- Jan. 5, 2011: Salman Taseer, the governor of Pakistan's Punjab province, was one of the few Muslim officials liberal enough to oppose Pakistan's insane blasphemy laws. He was shot 20 times by one of his own guards. Then, instead of treating the assassin as the despicable traitor that he was, most of the population treated him as a national hero!
- "The Chair-Person of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), Benazir Bhutto was the most famous Pakistani woman socialist-democratic politician who was the 11th Prime Minister of Pakistan. B. B. was the first woman elected to lead a Muslim state, having twice been Prime Minister of Pakistan in two non-consecutive terms (1988–1990; 1993–1996).
She was Pakistan’s first and to date only female prime Benazir Bhutto was an icon of the battle for democracy, and stands with only a handful of female executive leaders who have shaped the global events of the last century.On 27 December 2007, Bhutto was killed while leaving a campaign rally for the PPP. Precisely which of the forces aligned against this icon of liberalism killed her, but they were all extremely conservative.
- June 10, 2009 : The attempt by the 88 year-old, long time anti-semitic, holocaust-denying James Von Braun to kill as many as possible at the D.C. Holocaust Museum.
- By mid 2009, the 30-year campaign of violence against the rights of women to have access to abortion as recognized by the U.S. Constitution, as
interpretted by its official guardians included :
- 8 cold-blooded murders
- 17 attempted murders
- 41 bombings
- 406 death threats
- 5,800 acts of vandalism
- 175 arsons
- May 31, 2009: Prominent late-term abortion provider George Tiller is shot and killed in the Wichita church where he was serving as an usher, by a long time "pro-life" crusader.
- July 27,2008, Two people were killed and seven others injured when a gunman named Jim Adkisson opened fire inside the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church during the morning performance of a children’s play. A four-page letter written by Adkisson found in his car described his “hatred of the liberal movement,
Have you ever heard of liberals burning down a conservative church? Neither have I, and I'm in my seventies. It's always the other way around. Here's a List of Attacks Against Black Churches in the Past 25 Years.
- February, 2005, the American nun, Dorothy Stang, defender of the poor, and of their livelihood, was shot six times in the head, throat and body at close range, on the lawless fringe of Brazil's Amazon jungle - where illegal loggers have devastated the rainforest -. She was the most prominent activist to be murdered in the Amazon since Chico Mendez in 1988 -"She was on a list of people marked for death. And little by little they're ticking those names off the list," said Nilde Sousa, an official with a local women's group who worked with the nun.
- Oct. 23, 1998: Dr. Barnett Slepian is fatally shot in his home in a suburb of Buffalo, N.Y. Militant abortion opponent James Kopp is convicted of the murder in 2003 and sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.
- Jan. 29, 1998: A bomb explodes just outside a Birmingham, Ala., abortion clinic, killing a police officer and wounding several others . Eric Rudolph (who imagines himself a soldier in "the Army of God", later plead guilty to that incident and the deadly bombing at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. Rudolph explained why ''The purpose of the so-called Olympic movement" is to ''promote the values of global socialism as perfectly expressed in the song 'Imagine' by John Lennon. . . . The purpose of the Olympics is to promote these despicable ideals."
- Jan. 16, 1997 ( a year earlier) : Two bomb blasts an hour apart rock an Atlanta building containing an abortion clinic. Seven people are injured. Rudolph is charged by federal authorities in October 1998.
- Dec. 30, 1994: John Salvi opens fire with a rifle inside two Boston-area abortion clinics, killing two receptionists and wounding five others. Sentenced to life without parole, he kills himself in prison in 1996.
- Nov. 8, 1994: Dr. Garson Romalis, who performs abortions in Vancouver, Canada, is shot in the leg while eating breakfast at home.
- July 29, 1994: Dr. John Bayard Britton and his volunteer escort, James H. Barrett, are slain outside a Pensacola, Fla., abortion clinic. Barrett's wife, June, is wounded in the attack. Paul J. Hill, 40, a former minister and anti-abortion activist, is later convicted of murder and sentenced to death.
- Aug. 19, 1993: Dr. George Tiller is shot in the arms as he drives out of parking lot at his Wichita, Kan., clinic. Rachelle "Shelley" Shannon is later convicted and sentenced to 11 years in prison. ( a subsequent assassin was more successful.)
- March 10, 1993: Dr. David Gunn is shot to death outside Pensacola, Fla., clinic, becoming the first U.S. doctor killed during an anti-abortion demonstration. Michael Griffin is convicted and serving a life sentence.
(some of the above is from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/31/recent-cases-of-abortionr_n_209528.html)
- The Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the United States were an attempt by extremely conservative religious fanatics to kill as many Americans as they could because they view Americans as diabolical liberals.
- April 19, 1995 : 168 people died and over 800 were injured in the bombing of the Federal Building in Oklahoma City by Timothy McVeigh and his friend Terry Nichols, ultra-conservative militia movement, which hated what it considered the liberal government under President Bill Clinton. It is the deadliest domestic terrorist attack in the history of the United States and was the deadliest act of terrorism within U.S. borders until September 11, 2001.
- Chico Mendes, a union leader and environmental activist in Brazil, was murdered in 1988 by land-owners whose total control he threatened.
- June 18, 1984: Jewish radio show host Alan Berg in Denver, Colorado, is assassinated by the white supremacists known as 'The Order'.
- Benigno Aquino, Jr. the leading opponent to the ultra-conservative Marcos regime, assassinated in 1983.
- On Oct. 7, 1981 the progressive president of Egypt, Anwar Sadat paid with his life for finally making peace with Israel.
Throughout this page, when I speak of "liberals" vs. "conservatives", I am referring to the leaders and official representatives of those groups, not to "nobodies", i.e. rank and file members, who may claim affiliation to a group, but have little or no influence over that group's policies or actions.
It's silly for conservatives to blame liberals - as they often do - for the actions of every nutcase who isn't a white Christian native-born tax-paying heterosexual English-speaking American. Here's a perfect example, a conservative Christian clergyman who uses that method to argue the very opposite of what I am arguing in this page : http://www.somethingaintright. com/Liberals.htm#maya08 .
- Massacre of the Greensboro,N.C. Five by white racists on November 3, 1979. Sandy Smith, a nurse and civil rights activist; Dr. James Waller, president of a local textile workers union who gave up his medical practice to defend workers; Bill Sampson, a Harvard University graduate in the school of divinity; Cesar Cause, an immigrant from Cuba who graduated magna cum laude from Duke University; and Dr. Michael Nathan, chief of pediatrics at Lincoln Community Health Center in Durham, NC, a clinic that helped children from low-income families.
- Harvey Milk played an essential role in the story of the emergence of the gay community. He was chosen by TIME Magazine as one of the 100 most influential politicians of the 20th century. But in 1978 a conservative rival shot and killed both him and the mayor in San Francisco's city hall. The homophobic jury responded to the killer's "twinky defense" by giving him a five year sentence.
- See the web page I devote to the seven leading liberal Catholic cardinals and popes who died suspicious deaths in and around the Vatican in 1978 : http://LiberalslikeChrist.org/murderedpope.
- Archbishop Romero himself was killed by a shot to the heart on March 24, 1980 following a sermon where he called on Salvadoran soldiers, as Christians, to obey God's higher order and to stop carrying out the government's repression and violations of basic human rights.
- Romero’s funeral was the largest demonstration in the history of El Salvador if not Latin America. The government was so nervous that it lobbed bombs into the crowd attending the funeral, killing some 30 people and injuring hundreds.
- Archbishop Romero had denounced what he characterized as the persecution of his Church: "In less than three years, more than fifty priests have been attacked, threatened and slandered. Six of them (listed below) are martyrs, having been assassinated; various others have been tortured, and others expelled from the country.
- That same year 3 Catholic nuns were rapped and killed by Salvadorian "contras".
Catholic priests assassinated in El Salvador during Óscar Romero's archbishopric (1977 - 1980) by the "Contra" government backed by the Carter administration (even before Reagan supported the Contras even more enthusiastically.
- Rutilio Grande, S.J. - 1977
- Alfonso Navarro - 1977
- Ernesto Barrera - 1978
- Octavio Ortiz - 1979
- Rafael Palacios - 1979
- Napoleón Macías - 1979
- Steven Biko ( Black African activist murdered by "law enforcement" of conservative South African apartheid regime in 1977.)
- Victor Jara (Chilian folk-singer and political activist, brutally tortured and killed by conservative government's "law enforcement" - 1973 )
- In Chile, in Sept., 1973, a coup led by ultra-conservative General Pinochet toppled the leftist President Salvador Alliende, who committed suicide rather than allow himself to fall into the hands of his enemies. In 2009 the courts in Chile concluded that Eduardo Frei, who had been the liberal president who had preceeded Alliende, did not die of natural causes as had been believed for decades. It has now been determined that the real cause of Frei's death in 1982 when he had become one of the leading critics of President Pnionchet's conservative military dictatorship, was poisoning by injections. ["Jurist" research]
- Orlando Letelier (Leading liberal Chilian activist, educator and diplomat, & his assistant were car-bombed in Sept., 1976 in Washington, D.C. because of his powerful opposition to conservative dictator Pinochet )
Wikipedia article on Letelier|.
- "Doctor Martin Luther King was clearly killed in 1967 by a conservative who hated the liberal agenda that King represented.
- On Feb. 21, 1965, Malcolm X, a former Nation of Islam leader, was assassinated by Black Muslims in New York City. Although there's considerable confusion over this killing, the most likely scenario is that killers had conservative motives to eliminate this liberal leader.
- The murder of Episcopalian seminarian Jonathan Daniels who was working for racial justice and equality in Alabama, in 1965, prompted outcries from many and is believed to have been a turning point in America's battle for equality among the races. 'One of the most heroic Christian deeds of which I have heard in my entire ministry and career for civil rights." (Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.) His denomination recognized Daniels as an official martyr and dedicated August 14 to his memory.
- Black Mississippian James Chaney, and two white New Yorkers Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner were murdered near Philadelphia, Mississippi, when they tried to register black voters in Mississippi during Freedom Summer, 1964 by members of the KKK. (Why did Ronald Reagan select this same town in 1980 as the place from which to launch his presidential campaign?).
- In the middle of all of the violence against the African Americans during this period, their march on Washington in August, 1963, the white authorities were terrified that the march would result in riots. Instead, this massive event was one of the most peaceful assemblies the world has ever witnessed.
- Medgar Evers, NAACP field secretary and civil-rights activist in Mississippi, 1963.
- 16th St. Baptist Church
In the early morning of Sunday, September 15, 1963, four members of United Klans of America, a Ku Klux Klan group, planted 22 sticks of dynamite with a delayed-time release outside the basement of the church. At about 10:22 a.m., when twenty-six children were walking into the basement assembly room, the bomb exploded, instantly killing
four young girl "freedom fighters" .
- Bethel Baptist Church
This Birmingham, Alabama church served as headquarters from 1956 to 1961 for the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights (ACMHR), which was led by Fred Shuttlesworth and active in the Birmingham Civil Rights Movement. The ACMHR focused on legal and nonviolent direct action against segregated accommodations, transportation, schools and employment discrimination. It played a crucial role in the 1961 Freedom Ride that resulted in federal enforcement of U.S. Supreme Court and Interstate Commerce Commission rulings to desegregate public transportation.
The church buildings were bombed on three separate occasions between 1956 and 1962.
The three-story Sixteenth Street Baptist Church was a rallying point for civil-rights activities through the spring of 1963, and is where the students who marched out of the church to be arrested during the 1963 Birmingham campaign's Children's Crusade were trained. The demonstrations led to an agreement in May between the city's black leaders and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) to integrate public facilities in the country.
- Patrice Lumumba (an African anti-colonial leader and the first legally elected Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, killed by conservative forces shortly after he helped to win the independence of this former colony from Belgium in June 1960.
- On Sept.8th, 1935, U.S. Senator and former governor of Louisiana Huey Long was shot by the son-in-law of one of his many conservative rivals, possibly as part of a conspiracy.
[ http://www.hueylong.com/life-times/assassination.php ]
- In 1921, Baldwin-Felts detectives hired by the local mining company assassinated Sid Hatfield, police chief (and former miner) who had tried to protect miners from interference in their union drive in Matewan, West Virginia, sparking off an armed rebellion of 10,000 West Virginia coal miners at "The Battle of Blair Mountain," dubbed "the largest insurrection this country has had since the Civil War".
[ http://www.lutins.org/labor.html ]
- The bloodiest race riot in the history of the United States took place in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1921, when the white community burned down the black community, killing about 300 of the residents, because they were jealous of the prosperous and flourishing community the African Americans had established (proving how wrong the white stereotypes were).
- Although Mahatma Gandhi was himself assassinated by fellow Hindus (who may or may not have been "conservatives", the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre, also known as the Amritsar Massacre, on April 13, 1919, where British Indian Army soldiers under the command of Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer opened fire on an unarmed gathering of men, women and children supporters of Gandhi was a different matter. The ones doing the shooting were following the orders of the white European colonial power intent on conserving their domination over the native population who were trying to liberate themselves from that domination. For about 10 minutes the conservative forces fired about 1600 rounds on the unarmed liberals. Official sources place the casualties at 379. According to private sources, the true number was over 1000, with more than 2000 wounded. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre]
The conservative response to the powerful liberal abolitionist arguments against slavery was irrational and criminal violence. In 1837, for example, they used torches to destroy not only Elijah Lovejoy's paper, his press and his office in Alton Illinois, but the editor himself!
During the mid-1800's, there were several massacres motivated by competing ideologies, such as the one pictured below, during "the bleeding Kansas" period. Although some might think it appropriate to include them here, I have not done so because they were part of a period of undeclared war, during which atrocious acts of violence were committed by both sides in response to similar - if not always equal - acts of violence committed by the other side, so that neither was entirely innocent.
- The Murderous Riot of conservative whites against African Americans in Wilmington, N.C. in 1898
- The Haymarket (Chicago) five labor-leaders hanged on false pretences, after a 1886 May Day rally in support of the 8 hours work day.
- In 1868 the relatively liberal Congressman from Arkansas, James Hinds, was shot in the back and killed by the KKK Secretary of the Monroe County Democratic Committee.
- After defeating the conservatives of the Confederacy, President Abraham Lincoln could have prosecuted the losers for treason. Instead, he sent them home with their horses and rifles so that they could get back on their feet. The conservatives repaid Lincoln's liberality by assassinating him.
- Mariana de Pineda Muñoz a Spanish national heroine killed in 1831 because she was such a liberal spokesperson.
There's a very interesting web page, http://www.michaelparenti.org/Caesar.html, by the historian MichaeParenti, that argues that :
- "(Julius) Caesar was only the last in a line of (Roman) reformers, dating back across the better part of a century, who were murdered by opulent conservatives.”
Liberal Martyrs in progress:
Some people may think it's a joke, but in the light shed on the present from the past, the following are no laughing matters:
Chances of Obama being assassinated :
Individuals and groups have made threats to kill Obama after his inauguration on January 20. The rate of threats has surged by 400 per cent from the 3,000 a year or so under former President George W. Bush, according to Ronald Kessler, author of 'In the President's Secret Service'.
On a web site which purports to be mainstream, not at all extreme ( http://www.arguewitheveryone.com/general-political-discussion/77083-how-can-we-hurt-obama*obama-8.html ) here's what conservatives (some of whom profess to be upstanding Christians) have been posting :
I wonder if President Obama is taking any comfort from these words of Winston Churchill : "Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."
When conservatives are defeated at the polls, they think that the U.S. Constitution and / or Thomas Jefferson gives them a "2nd amendment remedy:
While the leading elected spokesmen of the Republican party were spouting inflamatory rhetoric in Washington, and the offices and homes of their Democratic counterparts were under siege for succeeding in passing historic health care reform, here's what the recent Republican Vice Presidential candidate was recommending that her many enthusiastic fans do to 20 Democrat representatives whom she was "targeting" for retaliation :
There's a claim by conservatives that the Democratic Party published a similar map with identical symbols in 2004. Even ifthat were true, (and I would like to have more than a claim in order to be sure it is), in order to be relevant, one would need to show that Republicans at the time viewed that action to be threatening gun violence - which could be shown if evidence could be produced that they complained at the time. - There's no question that Democrats have been complaining loudly and constantly about Palin's map ever since it was published and the whole world has been aware of her map for months. Compared to Palin's map, the so-called Democratic map, even if it existed, has been a non-issue.
In March (2010), nine members of anti-government extremist group called the Hutaree, whose website says its name means "Christian Warrior", were charged with planning a cop-killing spree intended to "spark a broad insurrection".
In December (2010), right-wing radio shock jock and past Sean Hannity regular Hal Turner was sentenced to 33 months in jail for his on-air threats against federal judges in Chicago. When Turner posted information about the judges online and declared, "Let me be the first to say this plainly: these Judges deserve to be killed," G.Gordon Liddy was broadcasting advice on how to kill law enforcement officers: “head-shots, they are wearing body armor, head shots… or shoot for the groin." and Newt Gingrich was saying things like "This war [between liberals and conservatives] has to be fought with the scale and duration and savagery that is only true of civil wars." and Grover Norquist was saying “We’ll defeat them [the democrats] and crush their institutions.… and The manifesto of the Paul Weyrich-inspired New Traditionalist Movement was saying : "We will not try to reform existing institutions. We only intend to weaken them and eventually destroy them"
After the right-wing fanatic had killed 400+ people who worked for or had business with the federal government, Ann Coulter expressed her approval of this mass-murder, with the following qualification: “My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building”
She also wished that “We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed too.”
In 1995, when Bill Clinton was under threat of impeachment, Rush Limbaugh expressed his wish that all but a few liberals could be killed:
“I tell people don’t kill all the liberals. Leave enough so we can have two on every campus — living fossils — so we will never forget what these people stood for”.
For more examples of what conservative "fans" learn from their leadership,
see Granny D's Hate Mail; &
Free Republic hatred.
Conservatives killed by Liberals
because of the differences in their beliefs :
- "The Unabomber", Ted Kaczynski was definitely a liberal, a genius who might have made great contributions to society, had he not taken the wrong approach to bringing about progress, He mailed 16 bombs which injured 26 people and killed 3, and were intended to kill many much more. Fortunately, he was no genius when it came to bomb-making. He was tracked down, prosecuted and imprisoned for life by the "liberal" Clinton administration.
- Sayed Qutb may not be a household name in the non-Muslim world, but he may be the writer most responsible for riling up the Muslim world, against America. After having spent 1948 thru 1950 as a graduate student in Colorado, he returned to his native Egypt with a profound contempt for the materialism and secularism of America and a missionary's zeal to fight the westernization of Muslim countries. Qutb's very conservative ideology got a big boost, when the relatively liberal government of Egypt's president Nasser responded to his political agitations by shamefully putting him to death.
- Abolitionist John Brown was also a liberal who took matters into his
own hands and wrongfully targeted promoters of slavery (but not innocent bystanders) for death.
Instances of Ambiguity :
Some, who confuse liberals with Communists, would want to use examples of the many Communist atrocities of the Soviet Union, China, Cambodia, and the string of Red Brigade assassinations in Italy as instances of conservatives being martyred by liberals. The practice of referring to "Right" vs. "Left" in politics contributes to this confusion, as though there were only two choices in politics, when nothing could be further from the truth. As I make clear in the many pages of LiberalvsConservative.Org even if they spout liberal ideas while doing so, if they act like fascist dictators, "leftists" are not "liberals", because it's the very essence of liberalism to "fight" their opponents with ideas, not weapons.
- In the 1970's, the Communist terrorists of the Italian "Red Brigade" were blamed for the abduction and killing of Aldo Morro, the leader of Italy's largest political party. But the truth was that his conservative rivals who actually were the ones who conducted this abduction and assassination of the most outspoken liberal political leader of his country at that time, the man who had just completed a coalition between with the Communist Party, a "false flag" operation to make people erroneously believe it had been done by the Red Brigade.
- If the Communist leaders of Russia had been liberals, instead of putting one of the greatest liberal heroes of his day, Raoul Wallenburg, in prison at the end of World War II and eventually killing him, they would have taken pride in liberating and honoring a liberal champion who had saved thousands of Jews from certain death at the hands of the Nazi fascists.
- Jim Jones was a very radical preacher who tried to kill all of his followers after he had persuaded them to move with him to a village called "Jonestown", which they created in the jungle of Guyana. He could be considered liberal because he started out as a genuine liberal, but - rather than truly liberating his followers - he ended up enslaving them to himself, which is the opposite of what true liberals do. And in any event, he didn't kill conservative opponents, but his own liberal allies along with the liberal congressman and media that were tracking him down.
- The "Weather Underground" were a radical liberal group co-founded by Bill Ayers to oppose the Vietnam War. Among other things, they blew up federal landmarks to bring attention to the atrocities of the war. However, not wanting to hurt people, they would issue evacuation warnings about intended bomb targets. Two policemen who ignored the warnings were injured and three of their own Weathermen members were killed while making their bombs.
- In 1914, the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand by a terrorist group called "the Black Hand" was the spark that led to World War I. These people were not about liberation, but about hatred for certain governments.
- Conservatives can point to John Wayne Gayce, the serial killer of some 33 young men and boys, as an example of a Democrat (because he was a precinct captain in Chicago) but for all we know he could have been a conservative Democrat, and more importantly, there's no evidence that he killed his victims because of their conservative views. Democrat Gayce is no more relevant to this issue than Republican serial killer Ted Bundy, who killed anywhere from 30 to 100 young women for reasons having nothing to do with their political ideology.
- The cases of Gov. George Wallace and Ronald Reagan:
I wouldn't normally even consider this case, because these were only attempted assassinations, but I am including them here because they came so close to being fatal, and they are so often offered as examples of famous conservatives attacked by supposed liberals.
But, as far as Wallace is concerned, it is clear that his attacker did not have political motives, "It was March of 1972 when Bremer began his diary. Increasingly lonely, he dreamed of getting attention through assassination. "'Now I start my diary of my personal plot to kill by pistol either Richard Nixon or George Wallace,'" he wrote in his first entry. Nixon was a divisive figure, and Wallace's segregationist politics had engendered violence since his first Alabama gubernatorial campaign ten years earlier. But Bremer was not concerned with politics. His plot stemmed from his desire "'to do something bold and dramatic , forceful & dynamic, a statement of my manhood for the world to see.'"
And, as far as Reagan is concerned, if anything, Hinckley was most likely a conservative as his parents were close family friends of then Vice President Bush's family.
In these cases most, but not all, of the criteria were met: [explanations in brackets]
- Karen Silkwood, died trying to expose corporate corruption at a nuclear power-plant. [No one was prosecuted for her death, which was made to look like an accident. ]
- Although it may never be proven, we view Steve Kangas as a "liberal martyr" because he was found killed by a gun shot under very, very suspicious circumstances just outside of the offices of the secretive ultra-conservative multi-billionaire, Richard Mellow Scaife, whom Steve had been investigating and criticizing on his outstanding ultra-liberal web site for years.
- Although he was a combattant in an ongoing violent war of sorts, we believe that Che Guevara should be considered a socialist martyr because after being captured by the CIA he was summarily executed by the Bolivian army.
- Eugene Debs, labor activist, union leader, congressman, socialist, and anti-war activist. Sent to prison for making an anti-war speech in 1918 under the sedition act. Ran for president anyway, and made a good showing while behind bars. His sentence was commuted by president Harding, but his health was broken in prison and he died shortly after his release. [the link between his persecution and his death wasn't immediate. ]
- Leon Trotsky was the leader of the original ideals of Communism and was assassinated while he was in exile in Mexico by those who had derailed those ideals and transformed the Soviet Union into a dictatorship which was liberal in name only. [ some might consider the killers in this case "liberals" because they were "leftists".]
- If all you read at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Garc%C3%ADa_Moreno is
"The Liberals hated García Moreno; when he was elected a third time in 1875, it was considered to be his death warrant. . . he was assassinated exiting the Cathedral in Quito, struck down with knives ", you would naturally assume that this is an obvious example of a conservative being assassinated by liberal rivals.
But here's what this very same page says about this president's administration:
"Moreno came to the presidency of a country with an empty treasury and an enormous debt. To overcome this, he placed the government on stringent economy and abolished many positions, as well as cutting out the corruption which siphoned off tax money. As a result he was able to provide Ecuadoreans with more for less. This improved the financial status of the country and attracted foreign investment. Slavery was abolished, but there was full compensation for the slave owners; (thus neither former slaves nor masters suffered economically). The army was reformed, with officers being sent to Prussia to study, and illiterate recruits taught basic skills. Houses of prostitution were closed, and hospitals opened in all the major towns. Railroads and national highways were built, the telegraph extended, and the postal and water systems improved. City streets were paved and local bandits suppressed. García Moreno reformed the universities, established two polytechnic and agricultural colleges and a military school, and increased the number of primary schools from 200 to 500. The number of primary students grew from 8000 to 32,000. To staff the enormously expanded health-care and educational facilities, foreign religious were brought in. All of this was done while expanding the franchise and guaranteeing equal rights under the law to every Ecuadorean."
Moreno was about as liberal as one could be in that time and place in history. But at that time "liberals" weren't defined by the way they dealt with the spectrum of the rich vs. the poor,, but by their view of the Roman Catholic Church. The more favorable they were towards the church the more "conservative" they were considered and the more antagonistic they were, the more "liberal".
The following collection of examples of conservative massacres of liberals was sent to me in early 2012 by a fan named Ian Crause. I can't vouch for all of this information, but it fits with what little I know about the events in question:
- " 1. The Peterloo Massacre (as anyone familiar with the poet Shelley will know), took place when the British government instructed troops to charge workers and their families demonstrating for Parliamentary reform on St. Peter´s Fields near Manchester in 1819, killing 15 and maiming 400-700 with their sabres.
- 2. The assassination of Jorge Eliezer Gaitán in 1958. Gaitán was a Colombian Liberal politician poised to become a reformist President within weeks. His assassination by a supposed 'lone gunman' resulted in another Conservative government and plunged Colombia into 50 years of civil war as the Left moved from reformist Liberal to hardline Socialist to counter the violence. When socialist FARC forces disbanded under an amnesty (I forget when it was but I think it was in the 90s some time), it is commonly known in Latin America that over 1000 were assassinated in Rightwing score-settling by Rightist elements protected by the Colombian government, and so they returned to the jungle for safety and vengeance, and the conflict continued.
- 3. The murder of 19* unarmed men, women and children at Porvenir in the amazonian Bolivian department of Pando on September 11th 2009 during an attempted nationwide coup by Bolivian Conservatives to oust the Leftist President, Evo Morales. They are believed to have been shot, sometimes in the back, as they fled into the jungle for cover by Brazilian mercenaries carrying automatic weapons and hired by the region´s governor, Leopold Fernandez, who is now in jail. Footage exists on the internet of the massacre, with commentary by the Bolivian authorities which includes the warm welcome given to the cameraman from a notorious Rightwing TV station who appear to be complicit at some level.This is obviously in Spanish!
*I live in Bolivia so I was acutely aware of this - Wikipedia says 15 dead, which I am dubious about as a result of seeing corpses lined up news on footage whilst figures of 18 or 19 were being mentioned.
- 4. Federico Garcia Lorca. the most famous of all Spanish poets, shot, as was claimed, up the anus amongst other places, for being 'a faggot' and Leftist during the earliest stages of the Spanish civil war. He was one of its first official casualties even though they are only now zooming in on where his body was buried by the killers.
- 5. The Asturian miners who were gunned down by the forces of the Spanish Right Republican CEDA government in 1934, souring the expectations of many Republicans that a Republic would give them some level of social or economic reform in Spain. The troops were led by Francisco Franco if memory serves.
- 6. Trotsky - head of the Left Opposition against Stalin, murdered in Mexico City in 1940. Stalin was, despite the state socialism he inherited, an extremely conservative man and politician - a racist, a chauvinist, a nationalist and a colonialist, as events in post war eastern Europe testified.
- 7. Jorge Calvo Sotelo, Spanish Rightist politician murdered by Leftists in 1936 and whose death was used as an excuse by the Right and the military to launch their attempted coup, sparking what became a civil war. As Anthony Beevor points out in his book The Battle for Spain, the proximity of the assassination and the attempted coup make it almost impossible the two were really related due to the amount of planning involved in the enterprise, hence they were already planning a military uprising against the Left Republican government but this provided a great excuse. Historically a hugely important murder, like that of Gaitán, whether it really deserves to be or not.
- 8. Andreu Nin - Trotskyist head of the POUM, the anarchist militia for which George Orwell briefly fought in the Spanish war, murdered on the express orders of Stalin as part of his plan to wrest control of the Republican effort from the hands of all but the Moscow controlled and unpopular Spanish Communist Party (so dooming the Republicans to certain defeat). He was disappeared in 1937 or 38, I think, and no one ever found him.
- 9. Plan Condor- disappearances of 1000s throughout Latin America in the 1970s and into the 80s."
This page is far from complete. Please remind me of the many martyrs of both sides that have not come to my mind. Rather than berate me for not listing more conservatives who have died at the hands of liberals, please give me examples that deserve to be on the list, and I promise to add them.